Easy to Make Feral Cat Shelter
This shelter is very effective and incredibly easy to make. It uses a 30 gallon plastic tote with lid (such as a Rubbermaid tote) and styrofoam. You can buy large pieces of styrofoam insulation and cut them to size or use a simple styrofoam cooler to assemble this. Then simply add straw to help keep them warm.
- Line the bottom with 1) thick layer of newspaper, 2)straw bedding or fleece blankets.
- Do not use cotton; it absorbs moisture, makes cat wet and cold.
- Camouflage is good, so paint the shelter to match the environment, brown and green are good colors.
- Best to elevate the kitty house on 2 x 4’s or pallet.
- Styrofoam boxes can usually be found at medical facilities.
Read about our feral cat shelter heros here.